Before writing this Sunbeam 5891 review, I have never owned a bread machine before! I started with an in-depth research online. As you know, no one wants to own just any appliance and you always look for the best. Low and behold, while researching I found this lifesaver now proudly standing on my kitchen counter.
Another important factor was that the bread machine had to be easy to use and not sound like an airplane taking off – as this is one thing, I had noticed when seeing my friend use hers.
Why This Sunbeam 5891 is a Lifesaver
Mainly, because it has a modern design that fits in well with my decor and functions quietly (reasonable at least so that you can hear someone talking to you and not shouting above your voice) compared to my friends one. Another superb thing about the Sunbeam 5891 is that it is programmable and beeps after the first rest, indicating that it is time to add your ingredients that work wonders when you are preparing raisin bread.
After a baking cycle completes it beeps again (that is great as any bread loses its moisture if not removed) – it does have an auto keep-warm cycle, but prefer not to use it for this reason.
An easy to use bread maker
The appliance is easy to use, especially while you are baking. I just warm my liquid in the microwave, stir in the required ingredients, pour the mixture into the non-stick baking pan, and place it on my kitchen scale.
Adjust the scale to zero, add your required flour, add the yeast and twist the pan into the bread machine, select the crust color, select the settings and check the dough after about 5 minutes to make sure that all ingredients have mixed and if it requires more water or flour. Remove the bread and leave it to cool on the cooling rack.
Wipe the pan clean, once it is cool enough saving you time when you need to make bread. Cleaning up the machine is minimal and the bread tastes delicious. It is great for making dough if you want to make oven-baked bread by using the dough cycle.
The Sunbeam 5891 design
When you lift up the bread machine you will notice that it is lightweight compared to most other models. It has a simple but elegant design and in a white color. The menu and LCD screen is large and found on the front of the appliance. While the lid opening at the top and it has a large window on the top for viewing the baking process that is great.
This model makes 1.5 and 2-pound loaves of bread and is great for making specialty bread as well. However, the recipe book does lack when it comes to the ingredients and more. I would suggest that if you are a beginner in baking like me, rather get yourself an additional recipe book like the Big Book of Bread Machine Recipes.
Another superb feature is the express bake cycle that bakes a loaf of bread in under an hour and even the dark crust selection is great and does not burn the bread. After experimenting with the different bread, I found it best only to use the express bake with your basic bread recipes and not your specialty bread.
Moreover, most importantly, you need to remember that this bread machine only makes rectangular bread and does jerk a bit when making 2-pound loaves.
Specifications and Features of This Beast
- Make 1.5 and 2-pound rectangular shaped loaves of bread
- It bakes bread in about an hour as with most other bread machines and has a 13-hour delayed timer if you do want to bake bread at certain times of the day
- Designed with a 12-pre-programmed baking cycle: basic bread, whole wheat bread, French bread, dough, cake, bake, sandwich bread, jam, express bake for both 1.5 and 2-pound loaves
- Provides you with 3 different selections for your crust: light, medium, and dark
- Designed with a large viewing window and LCD screen
- You receive an instruction manual, removable bake pan, a single kneading blade, and recipe book
- Not dishwasher safe
- You receive a 1-year limited warranty
What customers have to say while using this bread maker?
When it comes to customer Sunbeam 5891 bread machine reviews – they have more positive remarks than negative remarks. Amazon has more than a 1,000 helpful reviews for you to read if you do not believe me. They were helpful when I needed to make a choice in buying this model, as they are pleased with the machine but not so pleased with the recipe book (I fully agree on this one). Users found the machine easy to use and a great time saver when you need to prepare the dough. The only negative remarks regarding the appliance are that the recipe book is not much help and that it acts like a beast when mixing 2-pound dough for baking bread.
Advantages and Disadvantages while using the 5891 Sunbeam Model
- There is nothing easier than this bread machine when it comes to baking bread – the 12 pre-programmed cycle does all the work
- It is durable even if it does bounce around a little as most of these appliances do
- Provides you with versatility, allowing you to make different types of bread, dough, jam and more
- The delayed timer is superb and it does have an automated keeping warm feature for those who do like their bread nice and warm
- The recipe book is not so great
- A bit on the noisy side, but not that much as many have remarked
- Some advised that they feel it is a bit heavy and on the bulky side – I compared mine to my mother’s old timer and this one is fairly lightweight
- Some people complained that their loaves of bread had caved in or deflated while in the baking cycle – the recipe may require you to lessen the liquid for a firmer dough or even use less yeast
Final Thoughts on my Kitchen Helper
All in all my kitchen helper is a perfect machine and provides me loads of timesaving when I am baking bread. The Sunbeam 5891 bread machine is affordable and does what you expect it to do and that is bake bread. Compared to my friends more expensive model and my mothers’ old-timer this model is lightweight and works quietly when busy baking bread. Moreover, it makes a perfect loaf of bread!